Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Referral

I was at work on Thursday, October 23rd when I recieved the call. I came back from lunch and I had a call from our social worker Linda that she had a referral for us. I could barely grab my phone or think. I decided to call Linda first and then call Bill. I finally remembered how to use my cell phone and I called her. She said there is a seven year old boy we are holding for you, but I need to know within 2 hours whether you want to consider him to keep. She said he was found at a train station when he was about 6. He was withdrawn and wouldn't talk or look at anyone. However, today he is doing great in the orphanage, medically healthy and doing what he should be doing at his age.

I called Bill and couldn't talk as I was crying. He kept telling me to calm down. He thought someone had died. (My dad had surgery the day before.) I finally told him to sit down and that we had our referral. I told hm to meet me at home as soon as he can so we can open it together as Linda was sending it online to me.

I went down to find someone to let them know I needed to leave. I left within minutes. I knew this was it before we even looked at the referral.

Bill got home and said that he wanted to know if the boy wanted to be adopted. We opened the documents and started reading. February 14th was the day he was put in the orphanage and his given birthday. (Besides being Valentines Day, I thought of a special young man who passed away on this date. He was a special young man.) We kept reading and there was an interview in which he expresses that he wants to be adopted. He wants a family to love and care for him. This was it, he was ours. Then we looked at his pictures. What a cutie! He just melted our hearts. It was time to call Linda, say yes and begin sharing the good news.

No comments: